Saturday, December 24, 2005

Holidays Suck!

Why is our culture so hell bent on creating holidays that do nothing more than make people without a perfect life (most of us) miserable? Here it is Christmas, a time for family, for love and tradition and here I am with none of the above. I wish I was a drinker, then I could just drink till I pass out and forget the damn day but instead i'll watch the A Christmas Story marathon and giggle everytime that kid sticks his tongue to the pole.
It's not just Christmas though, soon it will be New Years Eve at midnight with no one to kiss and new years resolution time which you will break by Jan 31st then feel bad about yourself.
Then comes Valentines Day, another fucked up holiday just to make you spend your hard earned money on cards, candy and flowers and oh yeah, to rub your nose into your loveless life.
Mother's Day is the worst if you don't have children or worse, lost a child or your mother. Seeing those commericals with the kids bringing burnt toast to Mommy in bed just rips your heart out.
The whole month of June fills your mailbox with wedding invitations. Nothing worse than being single at a wedding, yet another reminder of your loveless life plus another $50.00 bucks ripped out of your wallet for that ugly Misaka vase on their registry.
Thanksgiving, let's not forget the "What I am thankful for" holiday...another remider that you should have a family so you can fight with them and pray uncle Ray doesn't get drunk and tell that awful war story again.
Holidays make us feel lonely and broke. I think we should outlaw all holiday traditions and just make them paid days off...that's the only true gift of a holiday.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Pete Moss said...

I agree with you. The only good thing is the paid time off. I always end up fighting with my wife as to whose family we are gonna go visit Can't wait for January 2nd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home